@scott-b on the version you have on the cdrom that works, I’m suspecting its pretty old. When ipxe first starts it displays a banner message. At the very start of the banner page there will be a version number AND a hex code in square brackets. What are both codes. I haven’t had to do this before but we should be able to look up the commit code to find out how old the ipxe kernel is. Also look at the date created of the ipxe.efi file.

Usually the hang on initializing devices is related to a firmware bug in the bios. The Dell 7010s have this issue and will not start the ipxe kernel in uefi mode, where bios mode is just fine. With the 7010 being 10 years old, Dell has no motivation to fix the firmware.

If we can’t get iPXE to boot, no way… We can boot FOS Linux from a usb stick. There are some caveats with this method. Simple unicast imaging works. Its not currently possible to multicast image using a usb boot stick.

• @sebastian-roth

Thanks for the tip. I didn’t know that was possible. I did perform those steps but I’m still seeing the issue.

• Senior Developer

@Scott-B It might be the iPXE version but could also be the devices behaving differently when booted via USB (iPXE) compared to PXE (also iPXE).

You can let FOG build iPXE form the very latest official iPXE code repo running those commands (assuming you have the FOG stuff extracted in /root/fogproject - just change the path to whereever you have it):

sudo -i
    cd /root/fogproject/utils/FOGiPXE/
    ./buildipxe.sh
    cd ../../bin/
    ./installfog.sh

Users

Topics