[SOLVED] Trouble with renaming
I’ve made a good start with Fog and have run into a snag. The first set of images were all non-sysprepped but had fogservice included and would execute the renaming task successfully. They were not set to join a domain and no snap-ins selected.
I built my first Win7 sysprepped image and went through a series of edits and tweaks, mostly to my unattend.xml. Somewhere along the way my test laptop stopped taking the registered name in fog and retained the unattend.xml assigned name.
I did some searching and found this forum post [url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/windows-7-not-renaming-not-joining-to-ad.263/[/url]
So, I’m not a lone but I’m hoping for another solution. Are there any log files on the server that would provide hints?
My sequence of events for the image creation is as follows:
enter audit mode with ctrl+shft+f3
apply customizations, driver packs, and windows updates
place setupcomplete.cmd and unattend.xml in respective locations
run chkdsk /f c:
upload image to fog server with label ‘presysprep’
boot that image again
run sysprep from cli
upload image to fog server without letting it boot into windows
My two problems were (well, one really, RTFM):
- [URL=‘http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Managing_FOG#Active_Directory_Integration’]Follow this article[/URL] to configure your hostname changer service and then edit the config.ini where you will generate encrypted passwords
- Follow [URL=‘http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818091’]M$ KB818091[/URL] to setup the account that will join nodes to AD
The renaming bit is working now after clearing up my encrypted password problem as noted in my last post. but still the deployed machines fail to join AD.
So now i turn to AD to ensure that I’ve crafted the service account correctly that is used to join hosts to AD. I found this article and followed it. I had previously not configured my service account correctly.
Trying the job again…
I went back to the wiki where i learned howto setup the passkey on the hostnamechanger ([url]http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Managing_FOG#Active_Directory_Integration[/url])
I forgot that i needed to update the fogcrypt/etc/config.ini to include the new passkey. I just added that in and reproduced the encryped password for my service account which is used to join hosts to AD. Trying it out now…
in further testing this morning it seems that my test laptop is only renamed to the registered fog name when i chose not to join it to the domain. If i provide the AD settings the renaming task seemingly does not run nor does the machine join the domain.
 i wonder if fog is trying to change the hostname and join AD at the same time. when we do this manually windows tells us to do so one at a time with reboots between.