connection timed out chainloading failed

@sebastian-roth Would you send me a link to the pcap? I have ubuntu 20.04 running in my lab and have dnsmasq running because my router does the same thing. I can compare it to what I get here. It sends itself as the next server for bootp. dnsmasq (proxydhcp) should override any settings for both bootp and dhcp pxe booting.

One check is to see if at the end of the dora process the target computer reaches out to the fog server on udp port 4011. If that dialog is not happening then the target computer will go with what is in the OFFER packet.

• Senior Developer

Had a look at the PCAP and we clearly see the clearOS dnsmasq sending next server information in the DHCP offer/ack packet body. I think it shouldn’t do that in this setup because it’s confusing clients that receive the IP from DHCP and PXE boot information from the proxy DHCP.

Maybe this is just the default behavior of dnsmasq even if it’s not setup as DHCP proxy or full PXE bootp service. Not sure.

• Senior Developer

@geardog In that case we’ll probably need to look at the actual packets on the wire: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/9673/when-dhcp-pxe-booting-process-goes-bad-and-you-have-no-clue

• @sebastian-roth Ah, I’m using clearOS, but I’ve left the tftp line blank, thinking it would be disabled.

I tried pointing it at fog, at one point, but it didn’t seem to behave so I cleared the line.

Just now I entered fog ip in the router’s tftp direction field. The client instead of attempting to boot from fog immediately gives a “media test failure” when trying to pxe boot.

clearOS dhcp.conf (the quotes are surely wrong, but it’s in the api)
    61a7b803-e0c8-48cd-a938-a7b9a01e100b-image.png

Clearing the field again takes me back to the start of the post and gives me the posted error. I’m not seeing anything screwy in the clearOS router, as running.

clearOS dhcp.conf
    4369cbef-b33d-4602-be4f-b1bd881cf45a-image.png

clearOS dnsmasq.conf
    d9e22649-4ea2-4750-8f52-1a6746b8442d-image.png

• Senior Developer

@geardog Looks a bit like the actual DHCP server also hands out some PXE booting information that would overwrite the information you send via dnsmasq DHCP proxy.

So question is, what kind of DHCP server is handing out the IPs.

Users

Topics