• @george1421 said in Can not detect disks.
    lspci -nn -k| more
    this did not show anything about the PERC anly about a sata ide controller and a SAS controller

lsblk didnt show anything at all

index.jpg

there where some pages above it but they where mostly USB

@kylian FOS Linux should work with those raid controllers. mdraid is not needed since they are a physical raid. Linux should just see those as a sata disks.

Manually register one of the H710 with FOG and then setup a test deploy image but before you hit the schedule task button check the debug checkbox then schedule the task.

PXE boot the target computer after several screens of text you should end up at linux command prompt. At the FOS Linux command prompt key in lspci -nn -k| more look through the list until you see the PERC raid controller. snap a picture of the PERC line and the 2 lines just below it. Lets see if the controller is recognized by FOS Linux.

Also run the following command lsblk and send a snap of that output too.

• @sebastian-roth I did not have a usb key conected. Some of the machines have SAS drives and other just SATA 3.5 inch and the sas drives 2.5 inch dirves

• Senior Developer

@kylian said in Can not detect disks.:

Well i happen to have multiple of these servers all R710 with the same PERC H700 raid controller and the other once boot and register fine from the fog server

Ok, seems like our Linux kernel should support this RAID controller through the megaraid_sas kernel module which we have compiled into our kernels.

Still I wouldn’t expect it to find and re-assemle the RAID on registration unless the mentioned kernel parameter is set globally in the FOG settings.

Do the other machines have another disk (HDD, SSD, NVMe) build into them or did you have a USB key connected to the machines when registering the other ones?

• @sebastian-roth Well i happen to have multiple of these servers all R710 with the same PERC H700 raid controller and the other once boot and register fine from the fog server

• Senior Developer

@kylian Well, RAID controller needs a specific driver. Windows being able to auto-detect it doesn’t mean that all other systems will do as well. We use the Linux kernel in FOS (FOG OS booting up when you want to register or deploy/capture an image) and while we do have some RAID drivers compiled into the kernel it’s still not as simple as “load and go”.

It all depends on the RAID controller you have and with FOG you need to manually add such a host to the FOG web UI (using it’s MAC address), then add mdraid=true to the host’s settings (option Host Kernel Arguments) and boot up to a deploy task to see if it can detect and re-assemble your RAID setup.

Don’t expect for RAID to just work out of the box. It’s not that simple and some RAID controllers (especially Intel software RAID) don’t work at all because drivers are kept closed source and are not available in the Linux world.

Users

Topics