Just a possability question: Shared DVD-ROM via PXE menu...

• I have several computers with just CD-ROM’s (or no optical disc at all). For a while, I was simply using an external DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive (my personal device from home). However, now I’m starting to run out of room (physical room). I’m not a programmer, so I don’t even know where to begin! Would it be possable to share the DVD-ROM drive on the FOG server and have an option to boot from it on the PXE menu??

For example, I put a disc into the FOG server’s optical drive and from a networked computer I could boot to it.

• @maltobelli, post: 9353, member: 2746 said:

What size are the DVD’s, would they fit into the target machines RAM/Memory?
    Are they Windows DVD’s? Linux DVD’s?

Some of both, really. Some might even just be software.

I’ll have to read over those links.

• Perhaps it is possible via the use of iPXE and iSCSI?

http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2011-March/000357.html

What size are the DVD’s, would they fit into the target machines RAM/Memory?
    Are they Windows DVD’s? Linux DVD’s?

If windows then remaps on the tftp server are required, if linux then they can probably be configured to boot over NFS.

• I do try to make flash drives bootable via netbootin (sp?), though I have one or two computers that can’t boot from flash drives and I can’t upgrade the BIOS - I can’t find an upgradable BIOS or one isn’t available. I’ve also had a few ISO’s that didn’t work.

• Interesting concept. I’ve never heard of anyone doing this. My gut tells me it’s not possible but maybe someone has a solution for this. How about putting everything on a flash drive that is made bootable?

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.