Host seems reachable by fog, but is not reaching PXE fog menu

• Server
    • FOG Version: 1.4.3
    Client
    • Service Version:
    Description

We are currently testing an upgrade to a new version of fog. I feel like I am getting close to up and running but have hit a few snags.

I have added a storage node, and it successfully connects to fog. (Graphs etc are showing up in the UI).

I have also added a local switch with a single host. On the host I have verified that PXE boot is the first option.

However, when I queue an upload task and manually reboot, I am getting nothing on the PXE boot screen. The single host is showing up as green in the UI, but I cannot ping it manually when logging into the fog server.

I have also verified the storage node is ping-able.

I am sure I am just missing something simple. Any ideas?

• Developer

@thebrennan47 To me this sounds like you are trying to setup your new server as storage node only. This won’t work I’m afraid. As George already mentioned you need to select storage or master node when installing. Only the later will give you a full FOG server including DHCP, TFTP, NFS and such…

@thebrennan47 You can go in an tweak the .fogsettings file then rerun the installer. All originally selected settings are stored there.

• @george1421 I have made the change you suggested, however I am still missing something it seems like. I noticed that when I re-run installfog.sh on the storage node, it marks DHCP configuration as ‘skipped’. I imagine this may be the problem. Is there a way to change this to set up the storage node up as a dhcp server?

We are trying to set this up in the same way our current system is set up, which is basically going to be a fog server plus 3-4 storage nodes. Each storage node handles the local area connections for its ~15 workers

@thebrennan47 Looking at your dhcp configuration, your first issue is that FOG no longer uses syslinux for booting (pxelinux) but uses iPXE. You need to change your boot file to undionly.kpxe for bios systems and ipxe.efi for uefi systems. Let me get the recommended dhcp configuration for FOG 1.3.0+

[Edit] Look at example #1 here: https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=BIOS_and_UEFI_Co-Existence#Example_1

@thebrennan47 Just for clarity FOG has 2 install modes. The first is a Normal FOG server. This is a full installation of FOG. There is a storage node install too. That is a slave node to the FOG server. That storage node setup does not have a local database and relies on the FOG server or master node’s database.

@thebrennan47 said in Host seems reachable by fog, but is not reaching PXE fog menu:

The storage node is currently set to also be the master node yes. We currently only have one. Once I get this working we plan on expanding further. The fog server is not currently on the same subnet. It is in a completely different building — I didn’t realize that might make a difference. I can definitely try that if it does
    We are trying to use the storage node as the dhcp server. Below is the dhcpd.conf file contents

You keep saying / using contradicting terms (storage node). So for this discussion you only have one fog server (ignoring the fact that you have a 0.32 system). You are trying to use the FOG server as a dhcp server.

• We have a new class of hardware and the version we have in production right now (Fog version 0.32) is not compatible. We are creating another server setup in parallel to test before we attempt to move everything over.

The storage node is currently set to also be the master node yes. We currently only have one. Once I get this working we plan on expanding further. The fog server is not currently on the same subnet. It is in a completely different building — I didn’t realize that might make a difference. I can definitely try that if it does

We are trying to use the storage node as the dhcp server. Below is the dhcpd.conf file contents

ddns-update-style none;

option domain-name "xyz.com";
    option domain-name-servers ###.###.##.#,###.###.##.#;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

default-lease-time 2400;
    max-lease-time 4800;

log-facility local7;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
            range 192.168.1.50 192.168.1.100;
            option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
            option routers 192.168.1.1;
            include "/etc/dhcp/worker-reservations.conf";
            filename "pxelinux.0";
    }

Just to be clear you have a working fog environment and then you upgraded and it broke or it never was able to function to begin with.

Why do you have a storage node and a fog master node? Are they on the same subnet?

On the network where the client computer is, what device is your dhcp server? What exactly do you have configured for dhcp option 66 {next-server} and dhcp option 67 {boot-file}?

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.