USB Boot UEFI client into FOG menu (easy way)

First let me say I’m not nit picking here just trying to understand and add what bits I know.

Finding myself testing UEFI booting on Dell OptiPlex 790 I have some observations to post regarding the UEFI USB boot with iPXE.

The 390/790s were the first generation of desktops that supported uefi, but not pxe booting (if I remember). That is what started me down that rom-o-matic path and this thread.

As for your workflow for creating a bootable usb drive, yeah uefi is cool no more boot sector stuff, as long as you have the boot.efi in the right location its all good.

USB Key size is not limited to 2GB. I successfully tested with a 1GB key.

The usb key size should have been a max size of 2GB. And that should be imposed because of the fat32 file system.

Beginning with “@ iPXE 1.0.0+ (aa11ff) …” at any point in the process leading up to FOG actually launching, whenever you would expect a progress indicator (##%) or an ‘’… OK" to pop up, keyboard input must be made to continue. I must hold the space bar, enter or backspace key down to ensure the process continues to the next visual refresh.

OK this one has me a bit lost. You have to do stuff on the keyboard to get the iPXE kernel to boot? I find that suspicious. I’m not sure why that is a feature at all. Did you build your image using the rom-o-matic site or via the iPXE source code?

• Finding myself testing UEFI booting on Dell OptiPlex 790 I have some observations to post regarding the UEFI USB boot with iPXE.

Here is what I did.

1. CMD: diskpart
    2. list disk 
    3. select disk # -- where # is the number representing your USB key listed by "list disk"
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary
    6. select partition 1
    7. format quick fs=fat32
    8. active
    9. exit

10. COPY <FOG>\tftpboot\ipxe.efi to <USB>:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi

USB Key size is not limited to 2GB. I successfully tested with a 1GB key.
    Case does not matter. Never does with Windows.

Beginning with “@ iPXE 1.0.0+ (aa11ff) …” at any point in the process leading up to FOG actually launching, whenever you would expect a progress indicator (##%) or an ‘’… OK" to pop up, keyboard input must be made to continue. I must hold the space bar, enter or backspace key down to ensure the process continues to the next visual refresh.

eg: with a ##% progress, the display halts at say 12% … nothing else will happen until I hit space/enter/backspace. Next it goes to 15%. again, smack a key. etc, etc. So I hold the space bar down and it flies through everything.

Otherwise it works like a charm.

@ITSolutions I created a new tutorial that requires the reader to create a new ipxe boot kernel to do as you want. It did work in my environment here is a link to the tutorial if you want to give it a try. https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/6400/usb-boot-uefi-client-into-fog-menu-harder-way

Using this (easy way) method, no.

What we would need to do is compile a new efi kernel as I outlined in the tutorial for the BIOS usb boot [ https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/6347/usb-boot-bios-client-into-fog-menu ]. I attempted to do the same workflow for the EFI boot as BIOS but the kernel didn’t work. I decided to take the “easy way” and rely on the work done by the FOG developers.

Now doing what you want is totally possible, if we can get the kernel configurations from the FOG developers, because the rom-o-matic can be used to compile custom kernels. We just need to know the options to select. This also assumes that the FOG developers haven’t patch the ipxe kernels in their environment.

• Testers

Is there any way to hard code the ip address into this key or would you have to type the IP every time?

• Tagging this for the wiki

Users

Topics