First Impressions / Introduction

• Appreciate the quick replies guys! I was able to play around with FOG in my production environment today. Ubuntu Server 14.04 & FOG 1.2.0, smooth sailing registering a few clients and uploading an image from a Dell Optiplex 755 running Win 7 Pro. Ran into some issues deploying said image onto another Optiplex 755 with . Host would PXE boot to FOG menu, recognized that I had assigned it a download task for the image. Once partclone screen appeared, I was received image is not a partclone image and the computer would reboot to PXE, rinse and repeat.

I attempted some suggestions that you guys provided like upgrading to trunk using the wget methold, I also updated my kernel to the recommend version suggested for the Optiplex 755 on the wiki. Now the system won’t boot into FOG menu when the host is set to run a task. It’s very likely I did something incorrectly as I’m pretty new to linux.

I’m considering doing a rebuild of the server on Dediban tomorrow like you gentlemen have suggested. Practice makes perfect right?

• Hey mtmuch and welcome from a fellow FOG aficionado and recent sysadmin. Been using FOG off and on since the 0.29 release and particularly in the lastest 1.2.0 and upwards dev releases, FOG rocks… The team behind it are awesome too and very responsive.

Another thing to watch out for with newer FOG versions is depending on how old your environment is to ensure portfast is enabled on your switches - we’re still waiting on one of our larger sites to have this turned on.

I’ve had success with snapins created using .msi files and several with .exe where the installer silent switches are well documented. Others have been a bit hit and miss but the snapin system itself works very well.

You’'ll need to visit each desktop I’d imagine to set them to boot from nic for PXE booting unless they are set that way already. If they are and you have some sort of inventory system (we use Lansweeper) you might be able to upload all the hosts and mac addresses via a csv file rather than having to manually register them.

I’m also a fan of the new plugin system which has been integrated. We have remote sites and the location plugin solves an issue of replicating between main server and remote storage nodes. Also liking the pushbullet plugin for alerts sent to your phone.

There is a bit of work involved in getting it setup in the beginning, but once you have it configured and clients talking, it will save you so much time. Zero-touch is the buzzword you want to mention to your senior team members.

Enjoy!

Welcome to both the Fog community and the Corp IT community! Also going to throw in my usual suggestions to go with Hyper-V if you are already using a Windows Server environment, and to go with Debian instead of Ubuntu for server installs.

• Senior Developer

For valuable snapins, I would probably start with basic cmd scripts, and then play around with silently installing some exes / msis. (For an exe installer the silent parameter is usually /s or /S).

I may be a tad bias when it comes to this, but I would recommend trying out our development builds on another vm / server. You’ll find imaging speeds are significantly faster, and there are some added security benefits. You should also check out the new beta client (my baby) which works with our development builds. It’s far more responsive than the 1.2.0 client, has quite a few security patches, and is more … ‘professional’ in areas, such as shutdown prompts and such.
    (See https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_to_trunk)

Users

Topics