UNSOLVED IPXE Boot Issue with Realtek RTL8153

• FOG Version (FOG 0.32)
    OS Version (Ubuntu 12.04)
    Using Tom Elliot’s latest kernel (used wiki to make it computable with version 0.32)

I got this almost working. I enabled CDC Ethernet Support in the kernel found in (Device Drivers > Network device support > USB Network Adapters > Multi purpose USB Networking Framework > CDC Ethernet Support)
    It seems to load a driver compatible with the RTL8153 but does not configure it in /etc/networking/interfaces. If I go in debug mode and add the following lines auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp in /etc/networking/interfaces it seems to work.

Not sure way this is not written in when the driver for the card is being loaded.

• When booting into Fog.

• Senior Developer

Are you having problems once booting into the FOG System or when you’re at iPXE?

• FOG Version (FOG 0.32)
    OS Version (Ubuntu 12.04)
    Using Tom Elliot’s latest kernel (used wiki to make it computable with version 0.32)

I believe the problem is with the driver in the kernel. I have checked if the Realtek RTL8153 usb Ethernet controller is loaded in the kernel and it is. But for some reason it just don’t seem to load.

• I would be curious to see if anyone has had any success with iPXE botting via USB to Ethernet Adapters.

• I have tried a few different kernals without success, and tried to compile my own kpxe file. Any luck anyone else?

• I am getting the same issue, with a Dell M3800. The laptop has a USB network adapter (SMSC LAN7500)

I have updated the undionly the one Tom posted earlier, this made no change.

I am running Fog 1.0.1 on Ubuntu 14.

Other systems are working really well.

Regards

Colin.

• I was able to get past the initialising device but thats all. Once iPXE starts to load it hangs (see image.)

I also disabled USB 3.0 in bios, to try and avoid same issue mentioned in this post: [url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/realtek-8153-usb-network-adapter.10302/#post-25209[/url]

[url="/_imported_xf_attachments/0/790_photo.JPG?:"]photo.JPG[/url]

• Senior Developer

[quote=“jmckay, post: 27323, member: 24186”]I’m having same issue with lenovo thinkcentre m78. ipxe gets stuck on initialising devices.[/quote]
    Try my latest undionly.kpxe please:
    [url]https://mastacontrola.com/undionly_MAY32014.kpxe[/url]

• I’m having same issue with lenovo thinkcentre m78. ipxe gets stuck on initialising devices.

• Apologies couldn’t find edit button, but just wanted to also add that:

iPXE booting works fine with the other laptops in our fleet.

EDIT: Worked out how to edit my post. I’m downloading CentOS for the time being to perhaps try a different OS.

Users

Topics