@johnny_verdane Well you have an interesting question there and I am tempted to give it a try myself and play with it. Though I don’t have the time to and therefore won’t go to much into the details myself.
I suppose you can use Ubuntu for this but personally I would start this adventure by asking which exact workloads will you be running? Is it software available as official Ubuntu package or not. On the other hand try to figure out if other environments like Buildroot might all the tools / software you need. While Buildroot is definitely less resource intensive compared to Ubuntu it also has less choice of software.
Though I have not done it with Buildroot it should be possible. Find a first hint on this here: http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2010-March/032773.html
If you give us more details on the software you wait to run in that environment we might be able to give more hints.
So for anyone else running into this, or if the devs want to make this work in the script, here’s what I had to do to get this upgrade to work:
backup fog db
perform manual install of mariadb-common, mariadb-server and mariadb-client
reboot (services wouldn’t start and play nice, this was the simplest thing, should also be possible without restarting but I didn’t go there)
manually create fog db
restore fog db from backup
git pull and run bin/installfog.sh
knock wood things are now working as expected and the web interface seems snappier (could just be in my head).
Moved this topic to bug reports as this is definitely something we messed up in the code when @Fernando-Gietz added the filter option to the reports.
@Rivybeast I am working on this and have pushed a first fix of the “Inventory Report”. If you are keen to give it a try you can simply download the latest file from github and put that into /var/www/html/fog/lib/reports/ on your FOG server (probably best to rename the existing file - e.g. to inventory_report.report.bak - so you can switch back to that easily just in case.
I’ll work on the other reports as well before I merge the whole lot back into dev-branch.